Sunday, November 10, 2013

Blue, pink and teal!!!

 
Back in May of 2012, my doctor found a cyst on the left side of my thyroid. The cyst measured 2.3 cm. After having an ultrasound the doctor decided I needed a fine needle biopsy. The needle was popped into the cyst and it filled with green fluid. The doctor and I joked that I was part alien. The biopsy was inconclusive. The doctor said that he found abnormal cells, but that is was not cancer. He advised me to have the cyst drained and tested monthly. It that point I didn't have insurance so that was totally out of the question. In late February of 2013, I once again had insurance. I went to the doctor to just have a physical and I thought it would be a good idea to have the cyst removed. My doctor said the cyst felt like it was bigger than it had been a year ago. I needed to have ultrasound done again. A few weeks later Tim and I were both laid off from Uranerz, the uranium mine where we worked. Well you guessed it.... no insurance again. Tim started working for Union Pacific in June and our insurance went into effect in September. Once again I went to the doctor to have the cyst checked. In late October I was sent to Rawlins for another ultrasound. The ultrasound came back showing that the cyst had grown to over 11 cm. and was putting pressure and starting to wrap around my vocal cords. It would need to be removed. On November 4, I had my surgery consultation in Casper. My surgeon said that the big concern he had was the nodule they saw on the cyst on my thyroid. Tim and I both said, "what??" At that point he said "did your primary physician not tell you that you have a solid nodule on your cyst?" Well, she hadn't. So it came as a shock. He sent me over to the hospital for another fine needle biopsy. After almost an hour of being poked in the neck, the biopsy was done. The doctor said I should get the results in a couple of days. On Wednesday 11-6-13, I got a call from the surgeon. He said the results were back and of great concern. No easy way of telling someone they have cancer. I am not really sure what he said after that, except that surgery is scheduled for Tuesday.
 

 
Cancer was not a word that I was ready to hear. I know cancer does not care how old you are. But I still feel like I am too young to have cancer. 43 is still young!! After the shock wore off, the tears came. I called Tim and told him.  Bless his heart, he sweetly said we would get through this together. I am so grateful for my amazing husband. I called other family and friends after a little while. They are all very supportive, but no one really knows what to say.
 
I will be heading to Casper in the morning to have my pre-surgery labs and EKG. Surgery to remove my entire thyroid, the cyst and the nodule will be done on Tuesday. I will stay in the hospital until Wednesday. The doctor said he wants me to stay over night to make sure there are no complications.
 
It sounds like thyroid cancer is very treatable in most cases. The after care will be done with radioactive iodine. ~~~~ Radioactive iodine is also used if you have your thyroid removed (thyroidectomy) because of thyroid cancer. Radioactive iodine therapy destroys any remaining thyroid tissue or cancer cells that were not removed during surgery.
I will have a scar on my throat. It can be any size from about 1.5 inches to 4 inches.
You hear a lot about PINK ribbons for cancer. Not all ribbons are pink. Thyroid cancer's ribbon is blue, pink and teal. I shall get a ribbon.
 
Please stick your neck out and feel for any lumps. Have your thyroid checked each time you go in for your yearly exam. ~~ The thyroid gland controls how quickly the body uses energy, makes proteins, and controls how sensitive the body should be to other hormones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment