Wednesday, November 20, 2013

After surgery - Hypothyroidism

It has been 8 days since my thyroid cancer surgery. I am feeling good most days. My scar is now starting to itch.
That is not fun at all. The doctor said I am doing pretty well. He said I should expect to get very tired and gain weight.
I have already gained 5 pounds since last week. The doctor said that most everything I eat right now will make me gain weight. SIGH!!!

~~Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is a condition in which your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of certain important hormones. the main purpose of thyroid hormone is to "run the body's metabolism," it is understandable that people with this condition will have symptoms associated with a slow metabolism.

Hypothyroidism can cause many different symptoms, such as:
  • Feeling tired, weak.
  • Depressed.
  • Dry skin and brittle nails.
  • Not being able to stand the cold.
  • Memory problems or having trouble thinking clearly.
  • Heavy or irregular menstrual periods.
  • Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
  • Raise your cholesterol levels.
  • More likely to have a heart attack. 
  • Coarse, dry hair.
  • Dry, rough pale skin.
  • Hair loss.
  • Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches.
  • Constipation.
  • Irritability.
  • Decreased libido.
So those are some of the things I am dealing with. I have had many of the symptoms for a while. I guess I didn't realize my thyroid controlled so many things. Please remember to stick your neck out and check for any lumps or strange bumps!!!

1 comment:

  1. It has been a rough few weeks for you, and I'm glad I'm here to help you through it!

    ReplyDelete